Transition to College-led training
In 2017, former Federal Minister for Health, the Honourable Greg Hunt announced the Australian General Practice Training (AGPT) Program would transition to the two general practice colleges - the Australian College of Rural and Remote Medicine (ACRRM) and the Royal Australian College of General Practitioners (RACGP).
Management of the AGPT program by ACRRM and the RACGP will commence from 1 February 2023.
We are committed to keeping our stakeholders up-to-date as we will progress through this period of change. We will continue to advocate for a seamless transition, to ensure as little disruption as possible to registrars, supervisors and all of our stakeholders.
We will keep this page updated with transition-related resources as they become available.
Communiques and resources
- RACGP transition page
- RACGP Profession-led Community-based Training Model
- Profession-led Training Education Program Discussion Paper October 2021
- RACGP College-Led Training - Registrar placements and practice agreements 2023
- ACRRM transition page
- Transition of ACRRM Training Program from Australian General Practice Training by 2023 Discussion Paper
- RTO Transition plans
National Consistent Payments Framework
The National Consistent Payments (NCP) Framework is a key part of the reforms to the Australian General Practice Training (AGPT) program. The framework provides information on a range of targeted financial payments to supervisors, training practices, and registrars commencing from 1 February 2023.
- National Consistent Payments Framework update from Department of Health and Aged Care
- Registration for Support Payments (updated 26 Oct 2022)
- GPSA supervisor/training post payments
Joint transition updates – DoH, RACGP and ACRRM
- GP Training Transition Update (29 September 2021)
- GP Training Transition Update (July 2021)
- GP Training Transition September 2022 Communique (September 2022)
Australian Government Department of Health and Aged Care
Minister for Health and Aged Care
- Media release: 30 April 2021 – More GPs for rural areas increases access for patients in the bush
Regional Training Organisation Collaborative (RTOC)
- Media release: 3 May 2021 – Deliverers of the Australian General Practice Training (AGPT) program welcome Ministers’ endorsement of the program