NTGPE was established to provide and facilitate effective general practice and primary health care education and training in the NT.
NTGPE is a public company limited by guarantee and consists of the following six member organisations:
- Aboriginal Medical Services Alliances Northern Territory Aboriginal Corporation
- Australian College of Rural and Remote Medicine
- Charles Darwin University
- Health Network Primary Ltd operating as Northern Territory PHN
- The Flinders University of South Australia
- The Royal Australian College of General Practitioners
The NTGPE Board comprises an appointee from each of the member organisation and board appointed skills based directors. The Board holds five meetings per year, two of which are face-to-face and the Annual General Meeting is held in April or May of each year.
The Board's function is:
- To act in a responsible way with respect to the fiduciary position of the Company and its ability to meet debts and obligations as they fall due.
- To implement a strategic plan for the Company and report progress of that implementation against planned targets.
- To adopt an annual budget for the Company and monitor the results at regular intervals.
- To appoint the Chief Executive Officer and conduct performance review.
- To ensure the documented procedures for the formal processes of election of office bearers and conduct AGM's are followed.
- To employ/engage personnel to carry out these duties, assist them by providing direction and the tools to do the job.
- To ensure that an independent auditor is appointed and that an appropriate level and range of insurance cover exists.
- To ensure that delegations are prescribed in an instrument of delegation and set to a level appropriate for the organisation.
- To review it's own effectiveness as a Board and if necessary take appropriate steps to influence documented policy to reflect the changing needs of the company.
- To act all times in the interest of the Company.
The NTGPE constitution is a key governance document. The Board must ensure that it and NTGPE complies at all times with the provisions of the Constitution.