Northern Territory General Practice Education (NTGPE) is the Northern Territory’s only Australian General Practice Training (AGPT) Regional Training Organisation; delivering General Practice education and training across the Northern Territory.
We place a strong focus on attracting the best of Australia’s GP registrars to the Northern Territory; as well as encouraging undergraduate medical students to consider General Practice as their preferred career pathway.
NTGPE works to ensure professional development is readily available to General Practitioners across the Northern Territory to ensure that high quality primary care is accessible to all Territorians.
Flyer: About NTGPE
Snapshot of GP Training in the Northern Territory
- GP training is in good shape, there is a defensible selection process, strong demand for programs and Government targets have been met within budget.
- Nationally there are approximately 3,200 GP Registrars providing frontline services that are increasing access to cost-effective primary care, including rural and Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities. The NT has in excess of 180 active GP registrars in training.
- Selection policy and geographical allocation are good and assist with workforce mal-distribution but will not succeed alone.
- GP training is the only private sector vocational training program of any scale. This is a key strength and there is a great deal of goodwill.
- There is capacity in the system to expand training numbers.
- The significant investment in training infrastructure can be utilised for other health professionals.
- The number of General Practitioners training in the Northern Territory continues to increase.
- 2015 intake of GP registrars increased by 51% and medical student placements remained steady.
- The introduction of mandatory Aboriginal Health Training posts for all GP registrars is considered key to a sustainable and relevant General Practice health workforce in the Northern Territory and provides all GP registrars the opportunity to contribute to closing the gap.